- Specialization Course for PETROBRAS, the Brazilian oil
company. Teacher of the Analog to Digital and Digital to
Analog Conversion module. Period: June 1990.
- Image and Video Compression Standards, for Engineers of
several Brazilian Television Companies. A 16-hour
course, repeated 4 times. Period: 1997.
- Error control codes, a 30-hour course for Motorola,
Brazil. Period: March 2001.
- DVB-S, an 8-hour course about satellite transmission of
Digital Television, for SKY Brasil, a satellite pay-tv
company. Period: November 2002, repeated 4 times.
- Technical report about electronic seals for petrol tanks,
for Sindicom (Petrol Distributors Sindicate). Period:
- Basic MPEG, a 16-hour course about image and video
compression standards for SKY Brasil, a satellite pay-tv
company. Period: November and December 2003, repeated 2
- DVB, a 16-hour course about Digital Television, satellite
transmission and interactivity, for StarOne, a satellite
telecommunications holding. Period: March 2004.
- Several training courses for Nokia in GSM and GPRS systems,
2005 and 2006.
- Training in Digital TV, for FUCAPI, Manaus, Brazil, 240hs.
Coordinator of the course and Lecturer of the Video
Compression and Digital TV Transmission disciplines.
Period: March to August 2007.
- Project MuQuE (Multimedia Quality Evaluation), for HP Labs,
Palo Alto, CA, together with HP Brasil. Research on quality
evaluation of multimedia signals, both images/video and
speech/audio. Coordinator and researcher of the project.
Period: 2007 and 2008.
- Project MuQuE-VC (Multimedia Quality Evaluation -
Videoconference), for HP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, together with HP
Brasil. Research on quality evaluation of high definition
videoconference signals, for images/video. Coordinator and
researcher of the project. Period: 2009 to 2011.
- Project MuQuE-3D (Multimedia Quality Evaluation - 3D), for
HP Labs, Palo Alto, CA, together with HP Brasil. Research on
quality evaluation of 3D augmented reality sequences.
Coordinator and researcher of the project. Period: 2012
- Digital TV course, open to the general public. 64 hours.
Lecturer and coordinator of the course. Period: Four
editions - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012.
- Digital TV course, for Oi (Brazilian telecommunication
services provider, both fixed and mobile). 64 hours. Lecturer
and coordinator of the course. Period: May to July 2008,
May to July 2009 and May to July 2011.
- Digital TV course, for Globosat Network (Brazilian Pay-TV
provider). 64 hours. Lecturer and coordinator of the
course. Period: March and April 2011, March to May 2013.
- Digital TV course, for ANATEL (Brazilian Telecommunication
regulation body). 56 hours. Lecturer and coordinator of the
course. Period: February to April 2012.
- Advanced Digital TV course, for Globosat Network (Brazilian
Pay-TV provider). 27 hours. Lecturer and coordinator of the
course. Period: April to July 2014.
- Investigation of video compression techniques for a
wireless video monitor, for FUCAPI, Manaus, Brazil Period:
July and August 2008.
- Use of spectrum analysis techniques for testing the flip
mechanism of mobile phones, for NOKIA and Fucapi, Manaus,
Brazil. Period: January 2009 to December 2010.
- Development of face recognition algorithms, for the
Instituto de Tecnologia José Sergio Cardoso, Manaus,
Brazil. Period: February 2008 to January 2009.
- H.264 Brasil, that helped in the definition of the
Brazilian Digital Television System. Coordinated the software
team that worked in the video coding part. The team consisted
of 9 Universities, (COPPE/UFRJ, PUC-Rio, UFF, IME, UNICAMP,
UnB, UFRGS, UFRN, CEFET-CE. Period: 2005.
- H264 Hardware, a project involving many universities
coordinated by UFRGS with the goal of developing hardware for
H.264 encoders and decoders. Period: 2008 to 2010.
- H264SETUP, a project involving many universities
coordinated by Prof. Ricardo Lopes de Queiroz with the goal of
developing guidelines for configuring H.264 encoders for use
in TV Stations. Period: 2009 and 2010.
- Project "Offshore Production Systems with a High Degree of
Automation", for PETROBRÁS (Brazilian Oil Company).
Responsible for a team working in signal processing
applications, including multimodal (video+audio) automatic
surveillance systems, automatic alarms for rotating machines
malfunctioning and compression of plant data. Period: 2011 to
- DORIS - A mobile robotic system for remote inspection of
offshore facilities. With CENPES - Petrobras, and
Statoil (Norway), coordinated by Prof. Ramon R.
Costa. Coordinates the Signal and Video Processing subproject,
that will build an automatic surveillance system using video
and audio, for detecting abnormal events in offshore
plattforms. Period: 2013 to 2016.
- Oil Reservoir Characterization using Information Theory.
With CENPES - Petrobras, and Statoil (Norway), coordinated by
Prof. Sergio L. Netto. Period: 2015 and 2016.
- Smart Data - Efficient Process Modeling for the Oil and Gas
Industry, with EMC Computer Systems Brasil. Uses signal
processing, sparsity and machine learning techniques for
devising ways of optimizing oil production in plants by
analysing large amounts of data gathered from sensors in oil
plants. Coordinator. Period: 2014 and 2015.
- Predictive maintenance of rotating machines in oil and gas
production systems, with EMC Computer Systems Brasil. Uses
information gathered from sensors in rotating machines for
detecting, classifying and predicting failures in rotating
machines. Coordinated by Prof. Sergio Lima Netto. Period: 2014
- Situational Awareness, with Siemens Norway. Prospective
project on several contributions of signal processing to
situational awareness, with emphasis on the oil and gas
industry. Coordinated by Prof. Marcello L. R. de Campos.
- O&G Condition Monitoring: DP Vessel, Closed Ring Power
System Fault Detection, with Siemens Norway. Coordinated by
Prof. Marcello L. R. de Campos. Period: 2017.
- Application of Big Data Analytics Techniques for
Identification of Operational Problems in Oil Wells,
Production Line and Offshore Production Facilities, with
CENPES, Petrobras, coordinated by Prof. Sergio Lima Netto from
COPPE/UFRJ. Period: 2017.
- Training in Computer Vision Techniques, with DELL-EMC,
Coordinator. Period: 2017.
- Light Field Compression, with Samsung Research Center
Brazil, 2018 and 2019.